Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Transplant city

     It was a transplant day today.  The seeds I had planted on May 4th were ready to be transplanted because I tend to plant 2 seeds in each cell of the six packs.  I normally wait for the first true leaves to appear and then transplant into larger containers (although sometimes I just prick out the extra plants.)
     The process starts by washing out the containers I'm going to transplant into first with water, then with Physan 20, an anti-fungal, antibacterial agent, then with water again.  I fill the containers with potting soil, water the container, and transport it to the greenhouse.  There I pop out each cell of the selected plants from their six pack, and using a small container to hold them in, I separate out the roots of each plant and place it in the newly prepared containers.  Afterwards, the plants get labeled (we use cut up recycled venetian blinds for labels).  Here is a pictorial of the process.  The last photo is a plants eye view of the greenhouse after the transplanting. (Apologies to Humphrey Bogart.)
Ready to transplant


in new pot
"Here's lookin at you, kid."

No comments:

Post a Comment