Monday, May 9, 2011

A sad day, but a delicious lunch

Today I pulled out eight plants that were wilting because of cabbage maggot damage.  Each plant when dug up had a severe infestation of the little white maggots just below the ground level of the plant eating the roots.  I squished 20 of them on one plant alone.  They even were affecting the bok choi plants although much less successfully than on the cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower.  I may lose the entire crop of these brassicas in one garden bed.  I don't think there is much I can do, but I will be doing some internet searching to see what is suggested.
On a happier note, we are eating some wonderful food out of the garden.  This morning we picked Red Sails lettuce, Grand Rapids lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots, mizuna, fennel, swiss chard, onion, and edible chrysanthemum and made a salad.


I recently started on phase 1 of the South Beach diet.  Luckily for me, lots of veggies are part of the diet, so salads are my lunch time staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment