Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Planting larger seeds

I try to plant rounds of vegetables (planting every 2-3 weeks) during the spring, summer, and fall seasons.  Today was a day to plant more lettuce, bok choi, kale, and other spring greens to replenish those we have been eating daily (what a yummy salad for lunch the last two days.)  I also planted some larger seeded vegetables today- winter squashes and pumpkins.  We don't really seem to have room to grow them this year, but we are talking about creative places to put the plants.
I used small pots today to plant the squashes.  I fill the pots with potting soil (Happy Frog), wet the soil, then plant the seeds with the help of a dibble.  This is a hand implement with a T handle and a point at the other end which forms the hole to put the seed in.  I usually do all this in the greenhouse after selecting the seed varieties from a seed drawer we keep in the house.  I then label the six packs or individual pots with the seed variety and name and the date seeded, and then put the tray holding the pots onto the heating unit in the greenhouse.  As the seeds grow into plants I will transplant the squashes to larger pots in a few weeks or simply directly place the transplants in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment