Friday, May 13, 2011

Heterohabditis bacteriophora, roses ablooming, and a visitor

Illijana and I stopped into a nursery on the way home from Arcata and purchased some juvenile stage nematodes (Heterohabditis bacteriophora).  These microscopic creatures are predators in the soil for maggots, cutworms, cucumber beetles, etc.  I have lost at least 15 plants to cabbage maggots so I thought I'd give this a try.  You mix up the sponge they come in with water, and then spray them on the soil.  We will see how this goes.
While doing this I got distracted by the weeds coming up in the asparagus patch and spent time weeding, and then got to the fertilization and disease control for the roses.  I normally try to use generally organic methods for our foods and flowers, but with roses around here, I am a true blue pesticide/fungicide/non-organic user.  So I watered the bases of the roses with Bayer three-in-one fertilizer/disease control.  It is the only thing I have found that can even reduce blackspot to tolerable levels around here.  Here are a few of the roses that are recently blooming.





We also have a group of visitors to our yard I thought you might like to see.  I took this photo out the kitchen window.  Our dog loves to chase after the chipmunks, but never catches them, thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment