Thursday, May 19, 2011

Morning ritual

I start my garden day with a ritual.  Each morning I walk out to our two greenhouses, one constructed of old windows recycled from our neighbors, another purchased at Harbor Freight, and open them to cross ventilation.  This prevents overheating and allows for better plant growth.
The first two pictures show the windows opened for cross ventilation.  Next photo is the Harbor Freight greenhouse, first closed up, and then with its roof vent open.  I also leave its door open as well.

I then water the plants in the greenhouse (see yesterday's blog).
After the greenhouses are done, I go over to the compost tumblers, turn them, and check on the compost.  The two tumblers are quite different.  The photos show the difference in compost after 19 days in the tumblers.  The Compostumbler is much faster.  It will be interesting to compare after the Costco tumbler has completed its compost making cycle which will take about 13 weeks.
Costco tumbler
Compostumbler finished product
Today's job: stacking wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment