Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Echium and Pisum

While I haven't been available to the garden much in the last few days due to other commitments,  I thought I'd share pictures of my two "plants of the day".
     Echium are a wild looking species of plant.  It is a tall spire with beautiful colors of flowers swirling around the spire.  It is quite attractive to hummingbirds, self-seeds readily, and if you don't want your garden taken over with them, you will need to pull out seedlings.  There are a number of species- I think the one I have is Echium pininana, but it is possibly Echium wildpretii.  We let three bloom in our backyard this year.








Pisum sativum (garden peas) come in many varieties.  We normally grow bush shelling peas, edible pod peas, snow peas, and sugar snap peas. Here are some clickable photos of the current pea crop.  We started garden harvesting them yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment