Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Spreading the love - compost

Here in Big Lagoon the soil we have is sand, part of an old upraised beach along the coast of the Pacific.  We have been amending the soil in the garden beds for 11 years now, and each year I try to add more organic matter to the soil.  Today I loaded a batch of compost from the Compostumbler and spread it on one of the vegetable beds (where the beans I wrote about had been growing).  Here is what it looked like.

I'm not sure whether I will cover crop this section of the garden this year or not, or just wait until spring to till this soil again.  The compost is made of grass clippings, sawdust, spent coffee grounds (given away by Starbucks), and small amounts of blood meal, bone meal, and greensand.

Here is one shot of a new bed primarily of dahlias. (Click on the pic to enlarge).
Here is a Queen Cox apple that is almost ready to pick!  I love their flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment