Thursday, September 15, 2011

Having fun, planting garlic, new pots and old

     Fun day in the garden today because I got to do some of my favorite things like harvest fall crops (cauliflower and beans), pull up plants, fertilize and rototill to prepare for a cover crop, plant the garlic, and refresh pots.
Cauliflower seems to grow best here in the fall.  I have several rounds of cauliflower coming on right now, but I did get to harvest some today, and to harvest three types of green beans.  Here is a photo (click on it to enlarge it if you want to).
I also got to plant next years garlic.  This year I'm trying something new with the garlic.  There are two types of garlic - soft neck and hard neck.  Usually we plant soft neck garlic because it is easier to braid.  But this year I saw a video put out by Peaceful Valley farm supply.  You can see it at http://groworganic.com/seeds/seed-garlic.html.  I got convinced to try both soft and hard neck garlics this year.  Their informative pamphlet suggested soaking the cloves to be planted in liquid fertilizer (I use Maxsea - a seaweed based fertilizer developed in Southern Humboldt by John Dimmick).  You can see a picture of the broken up cloves floating in the water and fertilizer.  I then planted the garlic in a bed I had tilled this morning.  It looked like this during the planting:
I covered the cloves and watered them in.  I have to get some mulch for them soon.  Garlic harvest will happen next June or July if all goes well.
     I bought a new pot a few days ago.  I've always liked glazed pots, but usually don't purchase them because of the price.  I had a $50 coupon for Ace Hardware, so I decided to splurge on the pot.  I wanted a pretty pot on the walkway when my mom comes to live with us.  I got to fill it with potting soil today.
Nearby sits an ancient pot that was my grandfather's (my mom's dad).  I'm hoping she will recognize it when she arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment