Sunday, September 18, 2011

Picking tomatoes, giving away produce, seed planting

My main object in the garden today was to pick tomatoes.  I grow them in two small greenhouses.  One of the greenhouses houses our hydroponic setup which had 6 tomato plants in it and two in regular large pots.  The other "hothouse" is made of recycled windows given to us by our neighbors, and houses 10 tomato plants.  (Click on these early spring photos to enlarge them.)
It was time to pick today.  I ended up with loads of tomatoes so I decided to distribute them to the neighbors.  That was fun.  I still have loads and I think I'll be making juice and sauce out of them tomorrow.
The other project I did today was to plant another round of lettuce seeds in six packs in the greenhouse.  I have two heat mats on shelving we constructed out of used lumber and recycled refrigerator shelves.  This provides a great seed starting mechanism.  So I did plant small quantities of Grand Rapids leaf, Raptor romaine, Black Seeded Simpson leaf, Petite Rouge romaine, Red Sails leaf, and Prizehead leaf lettuces, as well as one of my favorite greens, Tah Tsai.


I also froze the beans I picked the other day after blanching them in boiling water for two minutes.  It is great to have frozen beans in winter.  I think I'm washing house windows tomorrow so I'll post again in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment