Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Planted full, slug patrol, and blooms

I spent an intensive two days planting out starts into our garden beds recently.  Two of the three main veggie garden beds are full!  I am trying to leave space for beans which get planted later, but we now don't have much room for winter squash.  I'll have to figure out where to put them soon. Here are two of the planted out beds.
A new crop of shelling peas is up, and the Queen Cox apple tree is blooming.


The rhododendrons are beginning to bloom.  I love their beautiful flowers.  Most are from Singing Trees rhody farm in McKinleyville.

A final note:  the most effective slug and snail preventer in our repertoire is  "slug patrol" which occurs in the late evening, flashlight in hand, picking slugs and snails off the baby plants and squishing them underfoot (or drowning them).  It is the only kind of soldiering that appeals to me.  We use Sluggo (iron phosphate) as snail bait, but it is not totally effective against small slugs, so we do the nightime picking off the plant routine to keep the plants alive and growing.  They love the bok choi even more than I do.

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree with your solution for the snails and slugs. Rubber boots and Sluggo.

    ReplyDelete