Saturday, April 2, 2011

Making that mulch

I spent some time today digging out pine needle duff in the forest behind our house, making up a blend of dolomite limestone, pelleted chicken manure, and greensand (for potassium), mixing it together, and spreading it on the bed which I had weeded a few days ago.  While I only got halfway today, I will try to finish tomorrow.  I did some ph testing again to see how the blend would work.  The duff today came in at ph 5.8 which is quite acid.  Soil in the section I was covering was ph 6.3, and after mixing the duff with the limestone mix, the mixture measured ph 6.5.
It was very windy today with a steady 20-25 mph wind with gusts to 35 mph.  I did feel quite nervous in the forest with the trees swaying intensely.  It is quite amazing how well they bend and move.
limestone mix


mulch mix



No comments:

Post a Comment