Monday, April 4, 2011

I planted four varieties of peas today, two of which were shell peas (Knight and Maestro), one sugar snap (Cascadia), and one snow pea (Oregon Sugar Pod). My wife accused me of practicing "boutique gardening" because of the time and attention I take in planting each pea. There is something to this, as I know I'd never make the speed necessary to be a farmer. I do take lots of time with preparation and planting. In fact, I awoke about 3:30 am this morning with the realization that I had not soaked the peas I was going to plant today. So I dutifully got up, soaked each variety, and eventually went back to bed.
The first thing I did this morning was to weed the garlic patch. I love doing that because the aroma of garlic is released and it smells wonderful as I weed.

Next up was weeding a patch of ground to plant the peas, and then planting the different varieties.


In the meanwhile Illijana was weeding after doing a major round of lawnmowing. We are really trying to get grass clippings in the mix as organic matter for our garden beds, and to that end I searched around town for the original Compostumbler, a very large composter which turns. We had one for many years and loved it, but it eventually rusted out. I could not find one locally, so I ordered it online today. It should be here within two weeks. It will make us focus on compost and mulch for garden bed improvement.

Here is a link to info about the Compostumbler from the place I bought it... (since I haven't mastered the art of embedding links you may have to cut and paste this to your browser window: http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Compost-Tumblers/Original-ComposTumbler

A special thanks to neighbor Larry today for bringing over two bags of lawn and garden clippings!

No comments:

Post a Comment