Saturday, April 16, 2011

Harmless madness

     I found myself thinking about the concept of harmless madness today as I planted out seedling starts in the pouring rain.  It seemed like an apt description of what I was doing.
     The day started with a check on the new compostumbler.  When I rotated it I noticed steam coming out of the vents, and when I checked the temperature, sure enough, it was 142 F.  That is quite good.  
     Later I took a tray of 6 packs and 3 summer squash plants up to the "bio-dynamic bed", the one raised bed we don't rototill at all, but use a big U-bar to loosen the soil once a year.  My planting technique is to mix some fertilizer into a hole I prepare for each plant, pour a solution of Maxsea (a seaweed based fertilizer-but not completely organic) into the hole, push the plant out of the six pack, untangle the roots, and plant into the hole.  The fertilizer mix is one part alfalfa seed meal, one part greensand, one part blood meal, and two parts bonemeal.
     I try to plant intensively, that is closely.  All this was being done for a few hours in the rain, hence the idea of harmless madness.  Here is today's pic which you can click to enlarge:

No comments:

Post a Comment