Friday, June 17, 2011

A new garden bed, and garden candy

     There are many mistakes made in my garden.  When we first moved here about 12 years ago, we planted some trees and bushes that could not survive well in the climate we have.  Chief among them was a Frost peach tree.  We had grown Frost peaches, a semi-freestone variety with a resistance to peach leaf curl disease, in Fortuna quite successfully.  The coastal climate here, 400 feet from the Pacific Ocean, and much cooler than Fortuna did not allow the fruit to ripen well.  We finally cut the tree down last year.  The area around the tree was an unplanned patch primarily of weeds and grass.  We have decided to dig up this bed and reclaim it for vegetables, so today I started to do this.
     Digging it up reminded me again of just how sandy our soil is, especially in areas that have not had loads of organic matter added to them.  I'll have more info and pictures of this project soon.
     On the food front, I picked pac choi, beet greens, and edible pod peas today, combining them in a stir fry with garlic, oil, soy vay, fresh parmesan cheese, and a can of black beans, and cooked them together with a chicken-apple sausage.  Yummy dinner.  Another great development was recognizing that my "garden candy", my name for English or shell peas, are about ready to be picked.  It is so wonderful to be able to graze in the garden for these sweet treats, zipping off their shells, and totally enjoying the sweet and green pea flavors right off the vine.  There is nothing I enjoy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment