Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bean disaster, weeding, tilling (or not), and broccoli

     Today I uncovered a bean disaster.  I had planted 6 types of beans several weeks ago, and covered them with polyester fiber to keep the birds from eating the new sprouts.  Little did I realize that the slugs, snails, sowbugs, and earwigs decided to devour the beans under the cover.  I discovered this today and had to replant most of my bean crop.  Luckily, there is still time to get a crop in before fall.  This time I'm chancing the birds, and will try to stop the other critters without a cover on the beans.  We shall see.  Here is a clickable picture of the beans from today.



We spent the day weeding today, going through the upper vegetable beds, and then the blueberry patch, and a perennial flower bed.  I planned to till a section of a vegetable bed but was reminded that one of our beds is a "no-till" bed.  Instead, we used a hand hoe for weeding and working up the soil, and then planted three sections of spinach.  We have been eating alot of spinach lately.










Plant of the day
     One of my favorite vegetables is broccoli.  I try to grow a number of different varieties each year.  We freeze quite a bit of it for the winter.  Here is a head (variety unknown because of lost labels in the garden) that we will pick in about 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment