Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gardening with the moon, Reemay, planting veggie seeds, quiche, and rhubarb

Today was a waning moon (between full moon and new moon) and a good day to plant root crops from the astrological perspective.  So today I picked all the broccoli in one bed, then prepared the bed with weeding, the addition of organic fertilizer, and some tilling.  I then planted early wonder beet seed, nantes carrot seed, and an above ground bush pea, Legacy.
     I recently found out that the father (Victor Koshkin) of an old friend was one of the key developers of the fabric Reemay. Reemay is a spun bonded polyester fiber that has been of major use in my garden.  I use it to cover seedlings to prevent bird damage, to prevent freeze damage when the temperature is low, and to prevent insect damage to crops.  Here is a picture of a reemay like product on a vegetable bed. I'm using it to prevent bird damage to the seedlings.  Click to enlarge the pictures.

 Lots of people focus on flowers in their gardens.  I tend to focus on vegetables.  Here are a few I picked for dinner tonight.







Here is tonight's quiche that I made with the vegetables above.









Plant of the day


Rhubarb is a vegetable grown for its fleshy stalks, and makes wonderful pies and jellies in combination with fruits (like strawberries).  Here are the (poisonous) leaves, and then a picture of the edible stalks.  They grow very well here on the north coast.




1 comment: