Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Evening planting; dinner vegetables

I spent until 7:40 pm outside planting tonight.  The long days make it possible to work late and it is fun that it is so light so late.  I was planting our late fall/winter crop of brussels sprouts.  If you have never grown them, you are missing something.  They do not taste like the ones you get in the store.  When fresh they have a sweet cabbage like taste and are wonderful in stir frys and in soup.  We planted a dutch variety named Roodnerf which does well here.
     I spent lots of time today with my Tanaka (weed whacker or string trimmer) today.  Illijana wanted to mow the lawn, so I try to do the edging first so things look tidy, and slug and snail habitat is eliminated.
     Finally, I made dinner tonight with garden veggies.  The Oregon Sugar Pod edible pod peas are ready to eat, and there is a bunch of broccoli ready as well.  I sauteed these with last years garlic, added them to the cooking chicken/apple sausage, steamed the whole thing, and served with a 2007 German riesling spatlese.  Yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Yummo alright! I just stumbled across your blog on Blotanical, sounds like a wonderful evening in the garden finished by your spoils and a glass of wine! love it, thats my type of day!! Looking forward to visiting again, cheers Julia

    ReplyDelete