Friday, March 18, 2011

Planting in the hothouse


I planted the first tomato of the season in the hothouse yesterday.  It is an Early Girl which I found in a 4" pot at A&L feed store.  I also purchased seed potatoes to plant from there (Yukon Gold and Russet Burbank) which I set out in rows after reading about the row technique in my favorite garden book "The Encyclopedia of Garden Techniques" published by the Royal Horticultural Society.  I also planted out the English Telegraph cucumbers which I had seeded on March 5th.  They are quite young, but I wanted to separate them in their six packs where I had planted them two seeds to a cell, and it seemed like it would be okay to plant them out in the hothouse.
I discovered that the hothouse has some sizable air leaks in the boards on the north end.  I have to figure out how to seal them because they seem to let in cold air.
I also transplanted zucchini from small 6 packs into 3" pots, and noted that the tomatoes planted on the 5th are doing well.  They are on the left in the picture.
We have started lots of plants for our garden.  Here is a pic of some of them taken today which are now off the heat mats where I start the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment