Monday, March 21, 2011

If at first you don't succeed...

Carrot seed being planted
Carrots from the fall planting
Outdoor sink and carrots
     I am one of those gardeners who other people think have a green thumb.  My sense is that a green thumb is simply another term for continuous attempts at something when you don't get the results you want to start with.  Case in point, carrots.  I planted a small plot of carrot seed on March 1st this year, and nary a seedling sprouted.  I went back and planted today (a more auspicious day for root crop planting if you follow the waxing/waning moon theory of gardening), and if this crop doesn't succeed then I'll suspect that the seed I used isn't up to par, and will try another variety or at least another batch of seed.  I happen to like Danvers half-long carrots which is what I planted.
     One nice thing about our garden is that we plant "rounds" of seeds for continuous crops.  We have a small carrot patch of Nantes type carrots planted last fall which are about ready to eat.  Another nice thing is our outdoor sink, salvaged from one of our neighbors, which we use to clean veggies and seed trays and pots, and to play with water.  The carrots were tasty.
     I have a few early lettuces growing out in the garden.  I thought you might like to see the different varieties.
Yugoslavian Red buttercrunch
Green buttercrunch
Grand Rapids green leaf
Red Sails leaf lettuce


Finally, I used our new tool, the handtruck, to move three concrete slabs by myself up to the wall site.  It was much easier to do than using the wheelbarrow.  
New slabs for wall

No comments:

Post a Comment