Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Beets and the waning moon

     One of the things I try to do is follow the moon cycles for planting.  I'm not religious about it, but I did notice today that when I realized that the moon was waning I decided to plant beets.  The general theory is that when the moon is waxing (from new moon to full moon) it is good to plant plants whose edible portion is above ground, and in the waning moon cycle (full moon back down to new moon) it is good to plant crops whose edible portions are below ground.  So it was a plant beets day even though both sections of the plant are edible.  I used some old seed called Early Wonder, red beets that have done well here before.
     I also weeded and thinned the radishes, did some weed pulling, chatted with my neighbor across the fence as she dug in some beautiful compost she had made into her raspberry patch, and also brought up three big concrete blocks for the retaining wall out back.  I also did the daily watering of the seedlings in the greenhouse, and opened and closed the greenhouse and hothouse.  It was a slow day in the garden, but I know I'm gonna love those beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment