Friday, March 25, 2011

Peas-a favorite

Fresh peas from the garden are a favorite of mine.  There are so many types-snow peas, snap peas, shell peas, all of which I like.  My favorites are shell peas though.  Those are the type that you have to remove the shell on in order to eat.  When I'm in the garden I think of them as garden candy.  One of the more interesting parts of growing peas here is that my little Pomeranian dog likes to pick shell peas on her own, opens them up and eats the peas.  She also likes it when I'm shelling the peas.  She will wait for me to throw her a pea and catch it in the air before eating it.
    Peas can be planted early, when the ground is still very cool.  I usually soak the seeds for 24 hours which plumps up the peas, then plant them with a bed prepared with bonemeal for phosphorus.  I would inoculate them with bacteria but the price of the inoculant has gone through the roof, so I skip that part.




     The pictures show some of the peas which I planted earlier this year and also shows the usual bush pea supports.  I usually use prunings from the trees I prune each year, but a neighbor gave us some folding steel panels that we are also using.  The final two pictures show some of the types of peas I plant, and tonight's dinner which featured peas which we froze from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment