Saturday, March 24, 2012

Transplanting, fruit blossoms

Today was a transplanting (and of course weeding) day.  The first transplanting I did affected the tomatoes I planted from seed on Feb. 26th, and the cauliflowers and broccoli planted March 4th.  I usually plant two seeds to each cell of a 6 pack, and then transplant one of the plants if they both come up in the cell.  I usually wait for at least the second true leaves to appear before transplanting and that is what I did today.  Here is a picture of some of the baby transplants in the greenhouse. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
baby transplants
The next transplanting was done with larger plants which were originally seeded near the beginning of February.  The lettuce, broccoli of 4 types, and kale should have been put in the ground about a week ago, but today was the day I got to it.  I weeded a section of our big garden bed in the front of our house and planted these plants there, then watered them in with Maxsea fertilizer.
As I wandered around the yard I noticed that various fruit trees and bushes are now in bloom.  Here are pics of plum, pear, and huckleberry flowers.
Brooks plum

Pear

Huckleberry

No comments:

Post a Comment