Sunday, March 4, 2012

Compost, seedlings, planting seeds, planting labels

This morning was a good astrological time to plant above ground crops so I planted four varieties of broccoli, two types of cauliflower, lettuce, and collard greens.  I planted the seeds in small 6 packs filled with Foxfarm Happy Frog potting soil.  I use a dibble to drill holes for the seeds, put in the seeds, usually two per cell, and water.  One of the key items during planting is the creation of a label for the 6 packs.  I use recycled venetian blinds which I cut to the appropriate length, and label with the information I want, which is type of seed, variety, seed company, year of the seed, and how many cells I planted and how many seeds per cell.  On one end of the label I write in the seeding date, and the moon phase.  All this info is written in pencil so the label is reusable at a later time.  Here is a picture of the labels from today. (Click to enlarge).
planting labels
tomato seedlings



While in the greenhouse today I noted that the first tomato seedlings I planted from seed last week were up.  Here is a pic of the first seedlings.






The second part of the garden day was spent with our compost.  We spread compost which was completed some weeks ago on one of the garden beds, and then built another compost pile in the tumbler using grass clippings from the lawn being mowed today.  To those clippings we add sawdust (redwood in this case) from a local cabinet maker, spent coffee grounds given away free at Starbucks, and finally a very small amount of a combination of blood meal, bone meal, cottonseed meal, chicken manure pellets, greensand, and dolomite lime.  Here is a picture of the ingredients.
compost tumbler
The tumbler being filled is pictured here.
All in all a very satisfying garden day!

No comments:

Post a Comment