Monday, May 28, 2012

Beans!

It was bean planting day today.  I have five different varieties to plant, and planted three of them today.  I put some garden inoculant in a dish, added a bit of water and then the beans, and then went outside to plant them.  Since we didn't have much room left in the garden beds at the moment, I planted Provider, a 50 day bush bean variety which will probably take 90 to 100 days here on the north coast, Fresh Pick, another bush variety scheduled to take 53 days (100 if I'm lucky), and Speedy, bush, and I'm not sure how long this will take.
Beans have a hard time here along the cool coast.  They look terrible every year for quite awhile until they finally start looking better after about 60 days of growth.  They usually produce pretty well for us once they get around to it.  I think the culprit is the lack of heat we have, and the cool, foggy weather.  It is rare for it to reach 70 degrees F here.  Germination is usually slow because soil temp is at the low end of possible germination temperatures.  I do love the fresh beans when we harvest them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment