Friday, April 13, 2012

Weeding, weeding, planting

I had plants that needed to get in the ground today.  These were primarily cole crops (broccoli, cauliflower), chard of different colors, collards, and a bit of lettuce which I had seeded and raised in the greenhouse for the last 6 weeks or so.  They had several sets of true leaves, and I didn't want them to get root bound in their six packs. (Check out the picture in the previous post.)  In order to plant them, I needed to do some weeding in the garden beds.  So with my trusty hand hoe I went out and weeded three garden beds and then planted the plants.
We have one bed which is strictly a "no till" bed.  We try not to break up or mix the soil levels in this bed, and I planted this bed extensively.  I watered them in with Maxsea fertilizer, then used some Sluggo Plus slug and snail bait (iron phosphate and spinosad bacteria) to protect the plants.  It was fun to be outside in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment