Friday, April 6, 2012

It is too wet to till

It was a beautiful, sunny day here on the northern coast of California today, and I got to get outside and garden for awhile today.  I needed to weed a section of our front vegetable bed and then spread a batch of completed compost on the weeded area.  I also planted out some red cabbage plants I had waiting to get in the ground.
I tried to rototill part of the upper and lower gardens today, just to see if the ground was ready.  It wasn't.  Sometimes this early the ground is still too moist to till, and tilling only clumps up the soil.  I tried two small areas and checked out how the ground looked afterwards.  It was too "chunky", so the rest of the tilling will wait a few more weeks (a week free of rain would help.)
Here is some of the compost before spreading (and the weeds before weeding.) Click to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment