Sunday, February 26, 2012

Seeding and seedlings in the greenhouse

I tend to follow the "Gardening by the Moon" calendar when the timing makes sense to me, and today the moon was in the earth sign Taurus, and the moon is waxing (going towards full), so my calendar mentioned it as a good day to plant above ground annuals, especially cabbages and leafy greens, so that is what I did.  I planted seeds for the cabbages 'Derby Day', 'Blue Lagoon', 'Kaitlin', and 'Primero' in 6 packs filled with Happy Frog potting soil.  I also planted seeds for 'Bright Lights' Swiss Chard which is a combination of varied colors of chard and is quite pretty in the garden (besides tasting great).
I also planted tomatoes today, varieties 'Black Russian', 'Sungold', 'Sweet Million', 'Legend', 'Gold Nugget', 'Stupice', 'Defiant', 'Siletz', 'Nova', and 'Silvery Fir Tree'.  Most of these are old favorites but several are new to me.  We will see how they go.  This is a picture of the 6 packs in the greenhouse on the heatmat which keeps the soil warm until they germinate.


On the right is a picture of some wild garden kales, a selection of Siberian kale of different shapes and hues which I planted a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment