Sunday, September 1, 2013

Planting a "legacy" tree - Olea europaea or Arbequina olive tree

Olives have been part of my life since the beginning.  My mother had a story about rubbing olive oil on me as an infant, and olive oil was part of our daily diet, no doubt influenced by my family's Sicilian heritage.  I decided to plant an olive tree here at home to leave as a legacy tree for those who live here in the far off future.  Because temperatures are increasing here (and I think they will continue to do so due to human caused global warming) I think olives may well be able to fruit here on the far northern California coast.
I found a beautiful large pot in which to plant the tree.  I want to limit its height to its lower range of 8-10 feet tall.  Here are pictures of the planting.





2 comments:

  1. You should be in a good area to grow an olive. I'm much farther north and attempted to grow Arbequina by the south wall of my house so it would get extra heat, but perhaps I should have tried it in a pot instead, I lost it. I was not really expecting to get fruit but was looking to using the leaves medicinally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fruit on an olive is still iffy here, but years like this one (and the general trend toward warming) will put the tree in good shape in the future. I'm sorry you lost your Arbequina. Sounds like you did all you could. Do your local nurseries or extension agents think it is possible in your locale?

      Delete