Friday, January 25, 2013

Moving blueberries, and new garden beds

We have been working in the garden between rainstorms.  The big project at the moment is moving the blueberry plants which were in the back of our garden to the front (west side) of the garden.  We are using the vacated space to build three garden beds out of old scrap lumber we have been saving for just this purpose.  (The lumber came from Pierson building supply and cost either nothing to about 50 cents apiece.)  I am nailing them together, and learning to use a skill saw in the process of fitting them together. (My wife is the teacher.)

Here are the blueberries after the transplant to the front of the garden:


This is the vacated area which we then weeded and dug up.


We then laid out the space for the new beds using the scrap lumber:
Finally, I constructed the first bed today, trying to keep a constant size across the bed:
I will try to finish the bed construction over the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me that I intend to create a new blueberry bed, and to improve the old one. I was concerned about digging up established plants, but you did it, so I think I can too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We expect a transition year for the plants, but they seemed pretty happy with the transplant and the compost we added under the sawdust layer. I feel like we haven't mastered the fine art of blueberry growing yet, but we keep experimenting!

      Delete