Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Homage de Chateau de Beaucastel

When on vacation returning from visiting my daughters and granddaughter, Illijana and I stopped at Tablas Creek Vineyards in Paso Robles, CA.  It is a winery closely associated with the Chateauneuf du Pape winery Chateau de Beaucastel in the southern Rhone area of France.  Tablas Creek is planted in vines that were taken directly from the vines of Beaucastel, and while I know that the grapevine will not ripen fruit here so near the coast, I decided to plant a Mourvedre grape vine in a pot as a homage to the wines of Chateau de Beaucastel and the southern Rhone.  Here is a photo of the new vine.  I put some slate pieces around it to mimic the "galletes" (stones) found in the vineyards of Beaucastel.  I also got a vine for Cabot Vineyards in Orleans, and while it may not ripen there either, it has a better chance than here (and a winemaker/grapegrower who would know what to do to help it.)
 I also planted some lettuce, chard, kale, and tah tsai green today in our winter veggie bed.
 We are getting a fall crop of raspberries and they are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment