Saturday, July 9, 2011

House at Pooh Corner

     It was one of those amazingly beautiful and busy days in the garden today.  It reminded me of the Loggins and Messina song "House at Pooh Corner".  "You'd be surprised there's so much to be done..."
(I'm listening to the song as I type).
     I started out with the standard duties of opening and watering the greenhouses, watering the new bed and its peas and beans, turning the Compostumbler.  My object was to get all the vegetable starts that were ready into the ground.  I got sidetracked right away by the weeds among the beans, so I spent some time freeing the bean bed from weeds.  I then weeded the new plantings of beets, and the carrots, and decided it was a good time to thin the beets and carrots.  It is a sad duty, but necessary for the eventual yield of the veggies.
     I then got out my trusty Mantis tiller, amended the soil in the areas I was going to plant, and tilled the soil in the two beds I was using.  We also have a no till bed that I planted in as well.  When transplanting I like to use Maxsea, a seaweed based fertilizer developed by an old acquaintance, John Dimmick from Piercy, CA (near Garberville in Southern Humboldt.)  When planting cole crops like pac choi, or broccoli I spread wood ashes around and on the transplant to try to stop the cabbage maggot (larvae of a fly).  You can see the transplants and the ashes in the pictures that follow (click to enlarge).  Unfortunately for me last night some marauding snails got to chow down on the pac choi and napa cabbage, but I did get to plant most of them.










The other main goal of the day was seeding the next round of lettuce, cauliflower, etc in containers in the greenhouse.  I had to wash and disinfect the trays and six packs before I got to do the planting.  Here is a picture of our outdoor sink, and then the filling of the containers with potting soil (Happy Frog).










Finally, I picked out the seeds and planted them with the aide of my dibble.  Here is the final result.
Tomorrow is making pesto and making sauerkraut day from the basil in the greenhouse, and the red and green cabbages in the garden.  I'll show those processes then.

No comments:

Post a Comment